Internet video marketing is booming. That's no secret to anyone in any industry. What you might not know, though, is that some companies project that internet video marketing could account for almost 70% of all consumer internet traffic by just 2017. This statistic was mentioned in an article in the British newspaper The Guardian. The potential reach is astounding. YouTube alone receives more than one billion unique visitors a month. Aside from Facebook, that is more than any other communication channel. As such, you need to start considering how to market your videos properly in order to engage your customers and draw more interest.
A recent Volkswagen campaign saw a trio of its videos viewed a combined 155 million times. An engaging video is highly shareable, and will keep potential customers on your site longer. Some researchers have stated that if a picture is worth a thousand words a single minute of video is worth 1.8 million. If this is true, companies should be showing people instead of just telling them. This isn't to say written content has no place, just that video is one of the greatest internet marketing tools.
If you want to fully realize the potential of your video marketing, however, you have to make it easy for users to find and redistribute your videos. You also can't neglect mobile platforms. There have been some claims recently that mobile and tablet viewing account for one tenth of all internet video viewing. So here are some pointers to remember:
- Be creative! Your videos have to be different. Cookie cutter won't cut it here.
- Host videos in many places: YouTube, Vimeo, your own website and so on.
- Ensure that your videos can be viewed on mobile. This is a big part of the video market.
- Maintain your other channels so you can cross-promote your videos. Using a marketing automation platform that supports multiple channels is a good idea.
- Don't count on spending money. Effective videos are not always done by paying an arm and a leg. Sometimes less is more.
Of course, these are basic tips, but video marketing can be done by almost any company or organization. Be creative, engage your target audience, and ensure that your video is visible and easy to find in multiple places over multiple channels. There will be more specific posts as video marketing explodes. Keep checking back, have a look at what marketing automation can do for your video marketing and don't forget to check out our video page, either!