2 min read
Sending SMS messages: Dos and Don'ts
Using SMS messages for marketing is a great and reliable way to reach customers directly by sending messages straight to their phones – which the majority of people keep on their person at all times. It allows you to send information that is important and relevant to them. This is great for things such as appointment reminders, coupons, sales, and much more.
As easy as it sounds, creating an SMS message that will be sent out as a mass text is not as simple as just sending a mass text to multiple people. A few things need to be taken into consideration to make sure that the messages are effective, or else there is a chance that you may bother customers – or even worse, loss some. So here is a list of what you should do and what you should not do when it comes to sending an SMS message.
- Be concise: Make your message straight to the point and easy to understand so people know what you are trying to tell them.
- Make it personal: Make every message you send have a personalized feel to it with the use of merge tags.
- Send at relevant times: Make sure to send your messages with regard to local time and, if sending to a different time zone, set up the message to send at a more reasonable hour. Nobody wants to receive a message in the middle of the night.
- Allow for opt-outs: Not everyone likes to receive promotional text messages, or sometimes they can change their mind. So, allow for people to be able to opt out of receiving texts with an unsubscribe mechanism.
- Leverage SMS software: Using an SMS marketing software helps make the mass texting process much easier to manage, along with helping you make more professional campaigns.
- Have spelling mistakes: Make sure all your grammar and spelling is correct before sending your text message to ensure it looks professional and proper.
- Exceed the character limit: SMS messages are only allowed a maximum of 140 characters and going over that limit will cost you more money when using SMS marketing software. So, make sure what you type is under, or at, that limit.
- Make it hard to follow: Since you only have so much space, make sure what you type is easy to follow and understand so you are not confusing people – making the message less effective.
- Use unprofessional language: When creating your SMS message, make sure that you are using professional language to make messages look and sound better.
- Spam contacts: Nobody want to be bombarded with a bunch of messages, so make sure you space out when you send your SMS messages so this does not happen.
These are just some of the things you should make sure that you have considered when creating an SMS message. These tips will help make your SMS campaign more successful and will also help build stronger connections with your contacts. Not paying attention to these tips may negatively affect your SMS campaigns which can cause you to lose customers and credibility.
Interested in sending SMS messages?
Unsure of how you can set up and send mass SMS messages? Check out SimplyCast’s SMS marketing software!
SimplyCast’s SMS marketing software is easy to use and is an automated solution that helps make sure you check all of the “dos” on this list, ensuring your campaign is as professional and successful as possible. As a no-code solution, you do not need to worry about any coding experience when designing your text message campaigns.
Want to give it a try? Click the button below to request a demo and get in contact with one of our team members today!