1 min read
Starting an Email Marketing Campaign: The Do’s and Don’ts Part 1
Before even hitting the "send" icon on your first email marketing campaign, there are several critical factors to consider.
These seemingly small tidbits of practical information may seem to be obvious to most but are often overlooked because of their nature.
Without taking these tips into consideration before sending out your inaugural email, you'll be at risk for failing.
We don't want to scare you out of embarking on your email campaign, but rather provide you the necessary tools so that from the get-go, you'll be on top of the game. And, hopefully, beating your competitors to the punch.
Again, all of these "Do's" and "Don'ts" are for your pre-launch, even before you send it to any customers.
The Do's of Starting an Email Marketing Campaign
1. Develop a clear, concrete email marketing strategy, replete with goals.
2. Establish business-to-business (B2B) relationships first for cross-promotions.
3. Identify the point of your email marketing campaign.
4. Ensure that your email sign-up forms are functional.
5. Place email sign-up forms prominently on your website.
6. Confirm that your directed landing pages work, including all other links.
7. Promote your email marketing campaign before your launch.
8. Test every aspect of your email before sending.
The Don'ts of Starting an Email Marketing Campaign
1. Assume that an email marketing campaign will change your business overnight.
2. Conclude that an email marketing campaign will automatically drive sales.
3. Forgo demographic research (Who is your target?).
4. Ignore the importance of list building.
5. Forget that email marketing software is critical.
6. Fail to recognize that functionality is key (widgets, social media, forwarding, unsubscribe and privacy agreements).
7. Ignore the difference between marketing and advertising.
8. Neglect marketing cohesion with your other on-going strategies.
9. Ignore your business' identity and mission in your email marketing campaigns (ties with overall cohesion).
Watch for more tips on email marketing campaign do's and don'ts very soon.