The CAN-SPAM Act establishes the national standards for the sending of commercial email. The Act requires the following items to be adhered to when sending emails:
1. A visible and functioning unsubscribe mechanism is present in all emails.
2. Consumer opt-out requests are honored within 10 days.
3. Accurate “From” lines (including "friendly from lines").
4. Relevant subject lines (relative to offer in body content and not deceptive).
5. A legitimate physical address of the publisher and/or advertiser is present.
6. A message cannot be sent through an open relay.
7. A message cannot be sent to a harvested email address.
8. A message cannot contain a false header.