Learning about your customers beyond their spending habits and product history actually has more impact on your overall marketing strategy and growth opportunities than any other data available. Though it is atypical to send out a strict market research survey, what many marketers do is include personal questions. For this blog post, we're giving you a market research survey sample, outlining some relevant and useful market research questions that can be included in your next online survey.
Some of these questions may seem a bit intrusive and out of left field ("Do you watch television?), but it does paint a clear picture of who your customers are. What it does is shed some light on their habits. If they're on the Web more than watching television, then logically, they prefer to receive advertisements and promotions in that manner.
For example, let's say that one of your responders is a 30-something, married woman, who owns a home and has a combined annual income of $80,000. She prefers to read her daily paper online, regularly exercises and has achieved a Masters degree. Surely, you're not going to offer her a promotion for fast food or get-rich-quick schemes. Based on her personal information, she probably would be interested in healthy living or organic products.
See what information comes in: you'll never know how similar (or even diverse!) your clientele actually is. Also, this sort of data is key to understanding what demographics may be your next great group of customers.
It is critical that you include an option for your customers to not answer any personal questions. Some people may choose to offer their information, provided that you use it internally and it's not up for sale to the highest bidder.
Sample Market Research Questions
1. Personal Information
- What is your name?
- What is your age?
- Are you male or female?
- Are you single, married, separated, divorced or widowed?
2. Household Information
- What is your home address?
- Do you own, rent or sublet?
- Do you live in an apartment, condo, single-family home or a multi-family home?
- May we send promotional material to this address?
- How many people live in your household?
- What is the annual income of your household?
- Do you have any pets?
3. Lifestyle Information
- How many hours do you watch television per day?
- How many hours per day are you on the internet for pleasure?
- How many purchases per year do you make on the internet?
- Do you read newspapers/magazines/books online, on a mobile device or hardcopy?
- How often do you exercise per week?
- How often do you visit local museums, galleries or cultural events?
- How often do you visit movie theaters?
- How many vacations do you take per year?
- Please indicate the type of activities you participate in on a regular basis:
4. Professional Information
- What type of business are you in?
- What is the highest level of education you've achieved?