***NOTE: SimplyCast no longer supports the text message version of the Ride On program. You can still access the Ride On program through Twitter.
With marketing automation, you can solve many of the day-to-day challenges that people face. The following project was created by one of our Star Employees because she got sick and tired of missing her bus.
You can access accurate bus time information by texting or tweeting to receive the arrival times of the next two buses to your stop.
1. Tweet the city, bus stop and route number to @RideOnCast: sanfrancisco 4748 5L or halifax 8312 10.
2. Text (SMS) the city, bus stop and route number to 21212 @RideOnCast: sanfrancisco 4748 5L or halifax 8312 10. (*In order to use this option, please ensure that your Twitter mobile settings for mentions and replies are set to “From Anyone.”)
3. Text (SMS) the city, bus stop and route number to (778) 383-7446: sanfrancisco 4748 5L or halifax 8312 10.
Ride On was a project started by Maddy Martin, while doing a co-op semester at SimplyCast.
After being late for work a few times because she missed her bus, a young student with a limited call plan, wanted the ability to send a text to get when the next bus will arrive, rather than call the GoTime line. Not wanting to be late again, Maddy decided that there was a need for another option that would provide a time for when the bus would arrive at any given stop.
Having access to SimplyCast’s customer flow communication platform, Maddy was given a great opportunity to create something truly beneficial to the people of Halifax and other cities.
Maddy was tasked to spearhead the project, as well as launch it and promote it.
This is the unique type of project that all Star Employees (co-op students) are challenged with as soon as they start at SimplyCast.
To build the application, Maddy used open source data available on the City of Halifax website as well as the resources available to her at SimplyCast. She essentially created a simple program that allows anyone with a mobile phone to find out exactly what time the next bus is coming. You text a number containing the bus stop and route number and then receive a text back telling you when the next bus is coming.
A Twitter version was launched soon after to provide more options for transit users.
1. When you need to know the time of the next bus, make sure you know the number of your particular stop. You can find this out by using this interactive map.
2. Once you have your bus stop number, route number and city, text (778) 383–7446 entering the city first, followed by a space, then the bus stop number, then another space, then the route number. For example: halifax 8312 10.
Within seconds, you will receive a text that says when your next bus is scheduled to arrive.
If you are in the Halifax Regional Municipality, text (778) 383-7446 with your city, then stop followed by your route number.
Another Option: Text the city, bus stop and route number to 21212 @RideOnCast: sanfrancisco 4748 5L or halifax 8312 10. (*In order to use this option, please ensure that your Twitter mobile settings for mentions and replies are set to “From Anyone.”)
Tweet the city, bus stop and route number to @RideOnCast: sanfrancisco 4748 5L or halifax 8312 10.
1. As Ride On was a co-op project, it will be free to use for a limited time only for each city. You will incur regular mobile costs based on your current provider.
2. This SimplyCast 360 feature is currently in alpha.
She used the SimplyCast 360 Customer Flow Communication platform.
SimplyCast is a marketing automation provider that specializes in Customer Flow Communication. The SimplyCast platform offers 15 channels of communication (including SMS) and a unique automation manager called SimplyCast 360.
By using the easy-to-use software, the resources available in the office and the open data on the City of Halifax website, Maddy was able to build the program.
A student with no programming skills who needed a problem solved used the marketing automation software to create her own solution. It couldn’t be simpler.
Now Maddy wants to share her creation with everyone. That is why Ride On will be rolled out to cities across Canada and perhaps in other countries as well.
Are you a student or new graduate looking for a rewarding challenge? SimplyCast is always looking for the best and brightest whether it is for a work term, co-op placement or that first job out of school. If you can relate to Maddy and you have a passion for finding solutions for day-to-day challenges, we want to hear from you.
We even make it easy for you to create and submit your own job. Try it out!
The team is always growing as there are so many bright minds leaving school and need a place to shine. Whether it be developers, writers, designers or those interested in marketing, we want the most passionate people we can find. Experience is not required at SimplyCast.
We value creative thinkers who want to provide solutions and who are not afraid to make mistakes. In fact, our company culture promotes making mistakes. We believe if you are not making mistakes, you are not trying new things.
What’s not to love right? We can’t wait to meet you.