As 2010 moves forward (spring already!) deliverability becomes increasingly relevant. In the past Internet Service Providers would filter or block emails based on poor content. As email marketing has grown, ISPs are not only concerned about content, but they are concerned about sender reputation. Each ISP filters email differently with sender reputation being the main factor. Basically, if your sender reputation is poor, it will affect the deliverability of the emails you send.
What is sender reputation based on?
- Recipient complaints.
- Recipient's hitting "this-is-spam" or "report spam".
- Sending to bounced addresses.
- Sending to spam traps.
- Interaction – the percentage of opened emails, click through rates, etc.
How to increase your sender reputation?
- Have recipients whitelist your address.
- Do not use purchased or harvested lists.
- Send emails that recipients are expecting.
- Inform your recipients how often you will send messages and stay consistent.
- Segment your lists.
- Provide good subject lines; do not hide what the email is actually about.
- Use a consistent "from address".
- Have your recipients re-opt-in to your mailing list once or twice a year to keep lists clean, lower unwanted complaint rates, and clean up bad addresses along the way.
By following these guidelines your sender reputation will increase which will provide you with better end results. These can include higher open rates and increased deliverability of mail to the recipient's inbox.
Got a question relating to sender reputation? Feel free to email us at email@example.com.
SimplyCast is the only solution in the world to simplify the creation of multiple types of marketing campaigns using our best of breed interactive marketing platform.
You now have access to Email, Survey, Event, AutoResponders, Fax, SMS and Link Tracking solutions all in one place.
Not only that, SimplyCast now offers unlimited plans for Email, Survey, Event and AutoResponders as well as the first and only FREE 750 contact based package.